This was just before electronic share trading became available to individual investors / traders and for a while I still had to phone through my orders and drive to the broker with a cheque to settle my share transactions.
Absa / Advtech / Afrox / Anglo American / Aspen / BHP Billiton / Capitec / City Lodge Hotels / Clicks / Dis-Chem / Distillers / Gold Fields / Harmony Gold / MTN Group / MR Price / Merafe / MultiChoice Group / Naspers / Old Mutual / PPC Cement / Pick & Pay / Purple Group / Rainbow Chicken / Remgro / Richemont / Sasol / SA Breweries / Sappi / Sanlam / Spar / Sun International / Sygnia / Standard Bank / Spur Holdings / Vodacom / Woolworths / Currency Futures / Satrix ETFs (various) / Standard Bank Copper ETF / Standard Bank Platinum ETF / Sygnia ETFs (various)
Off and Back on the JSE
In late 2019 I took a break from my Standard Bank Online Share Trading due to other business and personal commitments. This was a time with no daily trading stress and it provided an opportunity for reflecting on my share trading system, trading strategies and for possible re-entering the stock market at a later stage.
- Apparel Retailers: Mr Price (MRP)
- Asset Managers and Custodians: Zeder (ZED)
- Banks: Capitec (CPI) / FirstRand (FSR)
- Cement: PPC (PPC)
- Chemicals Diversified: Sasol (SOL)
- Consumer Digital Services: Naspers (NPN) / Prosus (PRX)
- Diversified Financial Services: Remgro (REM)
- Drug Retailers: Dis-Chem (DCP)
- Food Retailers and Wholesalers: Spar (SPP)
- General Mining: Anglo American (AGL)
- Hotels and Motels: City Lodge (CLH)
- Luxury Items: Richemont (CFR)
- Pharmaceuticals: Aspen (APN)
- Real Estate Holding and Development: Rand Merchant Holdings (RMH)
- Telecommunications Services: MTN Holdings (MTN) / Vodacom (VOD)
- Transportation Services: Grindrod (GND)
13 of the above CFDs (the listed companies) are constituents of the SATRIX TOP 40 ETF (which tracks the performance of the FTSE/JSE Top 40 Index).
As long as I have been investing and trading I've been developing and fine-tuning a system in which I am comfortable with the individual shares, derivatives, leverage, margins and risks. I've learned not just to look at the overall portfolio, but also to each and every share / derivative in my portfolio. Proper analysis, research and decision-making is time-consuming, but its important to assess various criteria via both fundamental and technical analysis. Having an in-depth understanding of the trading / investment platform (in my case - Standard Bank Online Share Trading) is paramount for a successful strategy, operational efficiency and risk management practices.